Table of Contents
Why should I bother with SEO for my drug rehab?
SEO will undoubtedly allow your rehab to help more people. Done right, drug rehab SEO will push your website to the top of the search engines allowing your program to be found by people seeking help with their addiction.
Imagine someone struggling with addiction and makes the pivotal decision to reach out for help. The first place they are going to look is Google to search for the nearest or best rehab facility. If your website’s SEO has been done right your treatment center will be the first result they are given to make that one phone call that could change their life forever.
Being at the top of search engines will enable your rehab center to make the greatest impact it can by being visible to people searching for drug rehab services.
Now, go to Google and search for the rehab services you offer in your area.
You have the best addiction treatment center in your area but when you search for it on Google you’re nowhere to be found. Darn!
You need to be paying attention to a laundry list of SEO details related to your website and local listings.
Where do I begin?
The First 3 Steps Of Drug Rehab SEO
The first 3 things you need to determine are:
- What city do you want to be targeting?
- What are your most valuable services?
- What is your website’s authority?
Let’s break down these 3 things.
- Targeted City: The city you’re targeting is going to be a focus keyword of your website. For example let’s use the city Laguna Beach. Let’s use the Laguna Beach location in relation to a service you offer.
- Most Valuable Services: One of your most valuable services is probably ‘drug rehab’ or ‘drug detox’. So if you’re targeting Laguna Beach the most logical thing to do would be to target phrases like ‘laguna beach drug rehab’ or ‘laguna beach drug detox’.
- Domain Authority: Your domain authority is the biggest factor in your ability to show up in search results for a keyword. Essentially it’s a metric used in the SEO industry to determine how popular and credible your website is in your niche.
Domain Authority? I’m confused.
Simply put, domain authority is a popularity and credibility contest. The more websites that link to yours will increase your domain authority and the more credible these websites are the better.
Here are the top 3 tools that you can use to check your domain authority.
Once you have checked your domain authority, let’s say your website is a 14 out of 100. Now you need to see how competitive the phrases are in the search results.
Search the phrase you want to appear on in Google and check the authority of the websites that are showing up.
Now see if your domain authority sizes up against your competition. If you’re near or above the range of your competitors then you have the potential to rank for those keywords.
Content for Drug Rehab SEO
Without question, content and links are the two most important signals used by Google to rank your website for search.
Do you have a blog on your website? Great!
A blog can be one of the best spots on your website to archive valuable, engaging and actionable content that helps you build stronger connections with your users and potential admits. Just remember one thing—
Do Not Neglect Your Blog!
Here are a few helpful tips to remember when it comes to content creation:
- Not all content is good.
- Not all content is created equal.
- More doesn’t necessarily mean better.
- Avoid “just-in-case” or “wouldn’t-it-be-cool” content.
- Each piece should serve a purpose; including:
- Increasing organic rankings.
- Creating linkable content that will contribute to your link-building campaign.
- Enhancing UX and demonstrating value.
How Content Affects User Experience
The content across your website is going to meet the user at various stages in their decision-making process. Someone who is actively seeking or considering seeking treatment is likely to be at one of these three stages:
- Research: Do I even need treatment?
- Evaluation of Alternatives: Okay, I need treatment, but is your rehab the best option for me?
- Purchase Decision: This is the treatment center for me, how much is it going to cost?
Content designed to reach users at the research stage should aim to:
- Build brand awareness and establish credibility.
- Assume the user has opted in for your email list/blog subscription or has visited your site before (this should be a second chance at turning the reader into an admission).
- Nudge the reader to stage two or three.
Content at the evaluation of alternatives stage recognizes that research has been conducted and that the user is going to decide on where to seek treatment—so the content should persuade the user to contact your facility (in an encouraging, not salesy way). This content should:
- Reinforce your rehab center as a leading authority in drug rehabilitation.
- Guide the reader to stage three.
- Turn them into a lead.
If you’ve constructed your content correctly and managed to push them to stage three, then—congratulations—your visitor is now on their way of becoming a patient. At this stage, all content should be aimed at establishing your rehab center as the best choice among rehab facilities.
This is your last chance to cultivate confidence in your services and by this time they should be comfortable establishing a relationship with you and your staff.
Drug Rehab SEO: On-page Optimization
The essence of on-page optimization for drug rehab SEO is attention to detail.
What details do I need to be paying attention to?
Get ready… This is a long list.
- Keyword strategy
- Page titles
- Meta descriptions
- Targeted content
- Header tags
- Website structure
- Internal linking
- Mobile friendly
- Schema markup
- Page load speed
- Secured website (SSL)
Off-Site Drug Rehab SEO: Link Building
The link building aspect of your drug rehab SEO campaign is worth its own blog post alone! Link building is one of the two most important ranking signals for your website.
This means that you will have to spend most of your efforts in building great content and linking appropriately—both in the form of internal linking and acquiring high authority links from other sources.
Unlike the on-site SEO practices mentioned above, link building isn’t something that can be done in a day or a week; it means rolling up your sleeves and getting those votes.
Acquiring new links is integral to ranking—unfortunately, there’s no easy way to do it. An external link pointing to your site is a vote in your favor, and to rally your votes, you’re going to need a thorough link building campaign.
This is where your blog will play a huge role. It’s initially the easiest way and most appropriate place to begin building links. With enough top-notch content, you can slowly accrue domain authority, and people will begin linking to your pages.
Again, there’s no easy way to do this. Link building (AKA relationship marketing), allows you to earn links by demonstrating value to your users, visitors and potential clients (as well as leaders in the rehab industry).
Pro Tip: Don’t be afraid to ask for links from reputable bloggers.
You’ll be putting most of your effort into content and link building—the two go hand-in-hand. If you create outstanding content, people will want to link to you. Time, persistence and a willingness to reach out (despite the possibility of rejection) will pay off.
The Do’s and Dont's of Link Building
|Aim for naturally acquired links||Link to or form spammy article directories|
|Perform custom blogger||Link to or from Web 2.0 properties|
|Offer and ask fro guest blogging||Pay for links (it isn't a good look, plus, Google doesn't like it.|
|Get citations||Work with private blog networks.|
|Get local and niche links||Build a network of sites just to point to your site - it's like illegally building an apartment complex to draw attention to your offsite mobile home.|
Checklist: What You Need For Good Link Building
Once you’ve reviewed the do’s and don’ts of link building, it’s time to review your site with this simple checklist:
- Is my site a legitimate, well-built website
- Have I created well-crafted useful content
- Does my site offer value to site visitors
- Does my site offer relevant information
If you’ve been able to check off each item, you’re ready to start your link building campaign. However, there’s one other point you should keep in mind. This campaign is going to take a sustained effort over a long period of time. But, if done correctly you’ll be generating more admissions than you can count.
Well, there you have it. We’ve covered why drug rehab SEO matters, we’ve discussed the longevity of SEO over the quick-fix nature of PPC, on-site SEO, content for drug rehab SEO and link building.
Check out our SEO services if you would rather use a third party.